Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mickey's Anniversary

Dear Mickey -
No matter how many years pass, missing you will never change. You were my buddy. I loved hanging out with you and Mom. I treasured our lunches at your house. I came a little early and we talked while you prepared lunch for Mom and me. Then when Mom came home from her job at the elementary school it was all ready and we ate and talk. I spent many happy times with you and Mom. Out of the many days we spent as a 'team', one of my favorite was in February 1991. You and Mom came with me to help select my wedding dress. We went to several places. As soon as I tried on one dress, you both looked at each and we knew that was the dress and I picked it for my wedding. Not too many brides invite their fathers along when they shop for their wedding dress. Having this experience with both of you was one of the most memorable ones I have.
I didn't want you to suffer from your cancer any longer but it was so difficult letting you go. When you told Mom "Peace, Peace", you knew it was time. And I knew also. June 6th is the 8th year of your passing. Despite the years, I continue to miss you. Mom and I talk about you a lot. But then you probably already know that. Mom told me she likes to talk to your sailor picture. Then she looks at your wedding picture and says she doesn't know why you have the white sailor hat on instead of the navy one. Why didn't the two of you have such an important discussion prior to you leaving us?
Daddy - I will love you forever and ever and ever - Ce

I was my father's significant caregiver while my mother was his primary. He was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in May 2004 and passed on within one year. Despite his pain, my dad somehow managed to maintain a good disposition and staff appreciated his upbeat attitude. He went from rehab to hospital back to rehab until he finally spent his last days in University of Michigan - Ann Arbor where he left this world for the next. We don't want to see our loved one suffer but it is sure tough to part from them. And when people tell you that it gets easier over time. Then they never  met my dad. For that matter - they didn't meet either of my parents. I have terrific parents and boy could they dance! Jo and Mickey glided across the floor like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I acquired my love of dancing from them. I started calling my parents Mickey and Jo as a joke many years ago and sometimes think I say it more than Mom and Dad.


At times I can carry on wonderful conversations about my dad yet other times I become extremely emotional. My dad was 5'7". But to me, he was a giant - a loving, caring, humorous, sensible, incredible giant!   




  
Jo and Mickey 
Mickey and Cecelia

1 comment:

  1. Dear Cecelia; Thank you for your courage of sharing your most intimate thoughts and experience. I too have been a family caregiver for 45+ years. I look forward to reading your book. Best of luck, Willis Corbett

    ReplyDelete