Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Find Special Places to Take Your Loved One

Whenever my husband, Jack, and I take my mother to an appointment as soon as she gets in the car she wants to know where we going to eat.

I like to joke with my mother so sometimes I will respond with something like, "Gee Mom, are you sure you want to go out?" Within a matter of seconds, she will say something like "I want to go out. I don't want to go home yet and look at those four walls."

Jeannie, my mother's caregiver-companion, takes Mom to the hairstylist each week. Once they are done, they go to lunch. Jeannie has also realized the importance of making sure my mother has a full day outing.

What activities give your loved one pleasure? If you do not know, have a conversation finding places they enjoy going. The following are just a few ideas:
-  Visiting friends and family
-  Attending worship services
-  Going to the local community theaters
-  Attending concerts and symphonies
-  Going to movies from their era
-  Going to humorous or human interest movies
-  Setting lunch or dinner dates
-  Browing the grocery store or shopping mall
-  Attending sports events

All of us have busy schedules.  But we should think about the joy we bring our loved ones when we do something exclusively for them. Many live alone and at times feel isolated. As my mother described her feelings of loneliness - "I don't want to go home and look at the four walls." They may have visitors, yet are not able to leave unless someone takes them. There was a time they were independent but are now dependent on others.

Think of some ideas and then ask your parent for input. Since my mother enjoys going out to eat, Jack, Jeannie, and I take Mom to restaurants. In addition to her appointment days, we select other times throughout the month for her special outing.

What will the special place be for you and your loved one?

No comments:

Post a Comment